Stefan Gelcich | Associate Researcher
Stefan Gelcich is a marine biologist and studies social-ecological dimensions of marine fisheries management and environmental conservation. He is an assistant professor at the Pontificia Universidad Catolica and a researcher with the Laboratorio Internacional en Cambio Global (LINCGLOBAL) working on threats and impacts of global drivers on ecosystem services. He also studies the interplay between ecological and governance determinants in implementing and effectively managing marine protected areas. Stefan is co-investigator in the Centre for Marine Conservation at Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile where his work focuses on links between fisheries management, biodiversity conservation, and environmental attitudes of stakeholders. Stefan is a regional councillor for Global Green Grants, an environmental NGO that awards small grants to grassroots movements engaging in environmental issues. Stefan has wide experience in teaching at undergraduate and post-graduate level, consultancy work in Chile and overseas for Government and Industry and managing funds for nature conservation. He received his BSc from the Universidad Católica del Norte, his MPhil from the University of Cambridge, and his PhD from University of Wales, Bangor.
Laboratorio de sistemas socio-ecológicos
Departamento de Ecología
Facultad de Ciencias Biológicas
Universidad Católicade Chile
Santiago – Chile
- Halpern B*, J Diamond, S Gaines, S Gelcich, M Gleason, S Jennings, S Lester, A Mace, L McCook, K McLeod, N Napoli, K Rawson, J Rice, A Rosenberg, M Ruckelshaus, B Saier, P Sandifer, ASholtz, A Zivian (2012) Near-term priorities for the science, policy and practice of Coastal and MarineSpatial Planning. Marine Policy, 36: 198-205
- Marin A*, Gelcich S, Castilla JC, Berkes F (2012) Exploring social capital in Chile’s coastal benthic co-management system using a network approach. Ecology and Society 17:13
- Condon, RH*, WM Graham, C M Duarte, K A Pitt, C H Lucas, S HD Haddock, K R Sutherland, K L Robinson, M N Dawson, M B Decker, C E Mills, J E Purcell, A Malej, H Mianzan, S-i Uye, S Gelcich (2012) Questioning the Rise of Gelatinous Zooplankton in the World’s Oceans. Bioscience 62: 160-169
- Gelcich S*, Fernandez M, Godoy N. (2012) Territorial User Rights for Fisheries as Ancillary Instruments for Marine Coastal Conservation in Chile. Conservation Biology 26: 1005-1015.
- Gelcich S*, Guzman R, Rodriguez-Sickert J, Castilla JC, Cardenas JC. (2013). Exploring external validity of common pool resource experiments: Insights from artisanal fisheires in Chile. Ecology and Society 18.
- Kittinger, J. N., E. M. Finkbeiner, N. C. Ban, K. Broad, M. H. Carr, J. E. Cinner, S. Gelcich, M. L. Cornwell, J. Z. Koehn, X. Basurto, R. Fujita, M. R. Caldwell, and L. B. Crowder. (2013). Emerging frontiers in social-ecological systems research for sustainability of small-scale fisheries. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability 5:352-357.
- Wood CL*, Micheli F, Fernandez M, Gelcich S, Castilla JC & Carvajal J. 2013. Marine protected areas facilitate parasite populaions among four fished host species of central Chile. Journal of Animal Ecology 82:1276–1287. doi: 10.1111/1365-2656.12104.
- Gelcich S*, Amar M, Valdebenito A, Godoy C, Fernández M, Castilla, JC, Biggs D 2013. Financing Marine Protected Areas through Visitor Fees: Insights from Tourists Willingness to Pay in Chile. AMBIO 42: 975-984
- Marín, A., S. Gelcich, J.C. Castilla. Ecosystem services and abrupt transformations in a coastal wetland social-ecological system: Tubul-Raqui after the 2010 earthquake in Chile. (in press)
- Gelcich S, TP Hughes, P Olsson, C Folke, O Defeo, M Fernández, S Foale, L H Gunderson, C Rodríguez-Sickert, M Scheffer, RS Steneck, & JC Castilla* (2010) Navigating transformations in governance of Chilean marine coastal resources. PNAS (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America) 107: 16794-16799