Our specific objectives considered:
1. Set our Millennium Nucleus as a group of internationally recognized research and increase the capacity for multidisciplinary research among members of the core.
2. Identify key global forcings (eg warming, acidification, deoxygenation , global markets , certification, etc.) And local (e.g. local capacities , institutions, nutrients, pollutants , etc.). Influencing socio-ecological systems shellfish aquaculture .
3. To characterize the natural variability of the multiple environmental forcings (MED ‘s) and major market strategies associated with the three main areas of shellfish culture (Caldera, Tongoy , Chiloé ) .
4. Quantify integrated aquaculture selected species that are used (eg oysters and mussels ) versus MED ‘s local and global biological response.
5. Assess vulnerability and adaptability of SASES versus MED ‘s and relative to the overall market forcings affecting shellfish aquaculture in the main geographical areas .
6. Assess attitudes and innovation capacity aquaculture sector to deal with the MED ‘s and global market fluctuations .
7. Estimate socio- economic local and global forcings, and evaluate alternative management options consequences.
8. Constitute the instance for the interaction of researchers and PhD students from Chile and other countries on issues related to the major scientific issues of our core.
9. Insert advanced human capital in the field of shellfish aquaculture in order to understand and frame their research needs and development (R & D).
10. Establish a Reference User Group , which will consist of members of the public, private , NGOs, and academic sectors , for the dissemination of the main results MUSELS .